Program /Volunteer Coordinator
350Deschutes is looking for a part time contract person to assist with program and volunteer coordination. (20 to 25 hours weekly) We are a Central Oregon-based nonprofit organization. Our work is accomplished as a team with other staff, board, and volunteers. Our mission is to increase awareness of climate change, to advocate for climate change stability policy, and to promote positive solutions for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. This often includes education and engagement around actions that concern waste, transportation, and energy use. . Writing and people skills are a must, familiarity with social media, and ability to work with groups of individuals in planning or organizing. Prior experience with computer programs such as Action Network, Excel, and/or Powerpoint, or willingness to learn is important.
We seek a candidate with a minimum of a Bachelors Degree in any field, or equivalent experience.
The candidate will also work with volunteers and team members on policy actions. They may include developing policy within a coalition of like minded organizations and volunteers, and meeting with decisionmakers to promote policy changes. These policies may include use and transport of fossil fuels.
The ideal candidate will have experience in working with volunteers. We do not see this as a position suitable for a person with an existing job, unless that job is extremely flexible as to its time commitment.
You will be building a position within a growing organization dedicated to climate change awareness advocacy and education. We are a chapter of the international group, 350.org. You will work with a diverse and dedicated group of staff and volunteers. In this position you will also interact with government, college, business, and other nonprofit organizations. We seek a team-oriented individual to assist with volunteer recruitment, coordination, retention, data entry as needed, as well as online volunteer and program communications.
You would create your own work plan and budget in coordination with board, volunteers, and staff.
Although the schedule is flexible, weekly meetings with the executive director are a necessary part of the job. This may include meetings with other key volunteers as well. Fundraising is expected to be 20% of the job.
This is a home-based contract position, with about 25-29 hours weekly, about 1100 hours yearly. Hours are flexible, as long as hours worked are consistent with time constraints of meetings. Work may be busiest during January through May, and September through October). At slow times, contractor may prearrange nonpaid time off. Pay rate will be based on experience and qualifications, in the range of $18 to $22 hourly. Two week paid vacation.
Primary Tasks include
- Recruitment of volunteers from events, or from volunteer online platforms.
- Sending out an email newsletter to volunteers and working with volunteers to accomplish various tasks.
- Leading committee(s) of volunteers that pertain to the mission of the organization.
- Developing graphics and posts that promote volunteer and programmatic work for the website and/or social media, Volunteers may also do this work under supervision.
- Writing talking points for volunteer speakers, or pledges and petitions would be among the potential writing responsibilities. Training is provided as needed.
- Attendance at some meetings during the day as well as some evenings, would be required, but infrequent. Flexible schedule otherwise. Meetings may be in person, by phone, or ZOOM.
- Contractor will work on educational events as part of a team effort. This might include speakers or movie events.
- To help with yearly conference in October. GoCleanEnergy.org
- To work with volunteers to plan a cultivation event to be planned for volunteers during an off month.
Other skills or attributes considered desirable:
Comfort with greeting individuals and businesses to talk about 350Deschutes
1. Ability to recruit, engage and work with volunteers. To work towards volunteer retention within 350deschutes programs.
2. Willingness to learn. We develop and distribute cutting edge knowledge and education.
3. Ability to work independently, and set own schedule, as part of a team effort.
4. Good writing and speaking skills
5. Willingness to learn new software programs such as Action Network.
We are an equal opportunity employer and people of all ages and ethnicities, who meet the skills desired are encouraged to apply. This position will remain open until filled.
Please send a 500 word writing sample and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This job shall remain open until the right candidate is found.